Thursday, January 1, 2009

Kindness... A Great Word for a Great New Year! By Kelly K. Brown


My daughter Erica (left) and her best friend, Heather (right)!
I was in awe, and filled with joy while big tears ran down my face as I discovered that the FIRST word God’s Universe had for me to HEAR upon rising today (New Year’s Day 2009) is one of my favorites to see, be and do… the word KINDNESS!

Take a moment and just think about what that word means to you… Kindness!

To me it very often means Walmart! Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, so let me explain.

I was just there the other day with my daughter, Erica, and it was crowded and people were busy and as is always the case for me, I find someone there who just needs a little ‘extra’ love… a small piece of kindness.

That day, it was the checkout girl… who was doing her job quite efficiently and yet if anyone took the time to notice, there was such a mindless look of unhappiness about her… not a glimmer of a smile… just spending time. Immediately, my heartstrings were tugged and I took extra interest in her and asked questions, as we chatted, I smiled and beamed the energy of love all focused intentionally on her… and was gifted to watch anew what happens when kindness for another (in any form) is the intention of any moment.

Kindness is so interesting because its affects are far more reaching than it might appear on the surface (looking only at the simple act itself). I believe kindness and acts of kindness literally and physically change people!

That day at Walmart, I was uplifted with joy at having shared a moment of care with a total stranger. The checkout girl’s entire aura was changed and I’ll never forget her joyful countenance, huge smile and good wishes for a Happy New Year as we left! The bigger surprise was how the kindness also affected my daughter, who witnessed the whole thing… she, too, was uplifted and radiating joy as we left the store.

I’ve recently read that acts of kindness (the giving, the receiving, even the witnessing) literally change (elevate) the serotonin levels for good in the human body---and it strengthens the immune system---even the observer’s serotonin levels are elevated when they witness an act of kindness!

Think about that wonderful movie, Pay It Forward (where the boy’s idea is to do a kindness for another, that can only be repaid by ‘paying it forward’ to someone else who is in need). Watch that movie--especially the part when the boy spells out how the whole plan works--and TRY NOT to cry tears of joy how something so simple as kindness can do so much universal good! When I watch it, I can FEEL a physical change that beckons me to find ways to be kind to others.

How can we do it? That’s the best part of all!

An Act of Kindness can be ANYTHING!

It’s a big joyous smile that is everyone’s gift to give! It can be the gift of time (even a few minutes) spent in conversation with one who is lonely. It can be paying the toll for the person behind you at the toll plaza. It can be choosing to smile when someone cuts you off in traffic and wishing them Godspeed as they are in a hurry! It can be treating you, YOURSELF, with loving kindness. It can be just living a joyous attitude that spreads to everyone you meet.

That’s the Beauty of Kindness---it can be anything, done anywhere, for anyone, at any time!

And the Power of Kindness? Just a simple act of faith with far reaching magnificent rewards whose end you’ll most likely never see or know---and ALL at no cost to you or anyone!

And it all begins when you See Yourself As Love in Action!

“To work with love… is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from your heart even as if your beloved (the recipient) were to wear that cloth."
-Kahlil Gibran

Happy New Year with all the kindness and love I can share!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment